Thursday, September 17, 2009

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?


Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I agree with Karl Fisch, a teacher must be technologically literate. Technology is our future so our future leaders, children, should be taught about it. Often times teachers that do not understand technology will not use it in the classroom to familiarize his or her student of new advancements. I believe you can relate this back to what Mr. McClung talked about in his post. Teachers should not be afraid of technology and should never stop learning. Technology changes every day so teachers should stress about knowing everything because no one does but at the same time they should not be afraid to try something because they do not know how it works.

I have encountered several teachers with narrow minded thought about technology. I remember when I was in elementary school there were only two computers in the class and you could only use them if you finished your work early. I did not have a single computer class in middle school. My freshman year in high school I was forced to take a basic computer typing class. My teacher was out on maternity leave so we had a coach fill in for her and he did not care what we did as long as we did not bother him while he did his online shopping. I did not take my first real computer class till my freshman year of college. It was an introductory to Microsoft 2007 and although it was the most informative computer class I have had it did not teach me about the internet.

Technology is changing the way we live, so why not the way we teach. I don’t believe teachers need to know everything about technology but they should have a basic concept and be open to learning new things. I believe I am technologically literate but I also know I still have a lot to learn.

3 comments:

  1. Do you feel that you have learned anything worth talking about so far??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I didn't have any computer experience for the most part until college, so I'm in the same boat with you!

    ReplyDelete