Thursday, September 17, 2009

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today


A Vision of Students Today

Being a college student today is extremely tough and Michael Wesch’s video “A Vision of Students Today “exposes that to its audience. The video discusses the effects of large classrooms on a student. It is hard for students to focus on the subject being discussed if they cannot see or hear it from their seat. It also makes it harder to ask your professor a question because they are often times too busy to care about his or her students. I personally have not experienced this because I elected to attend Faulkner State Community College before transferring to the University of South Alabama. All of my classes have been relatively small and my teachers knew my name by the second week of class.

Money issues were also covered in the video. I can relate to these problems being a nineteen year old young woman on her own trying to put herself through school. School only allows you to go to work twenty five hours a week so money is tight to cover bills and gas to get to school but on top of that you have other test you have to take such as the APTT and shell out more money and time. Sometimes you cannot buy groceries because you have to buy your text books, other referred readings and computer software. This stress in return makes it harder to focus on your scholarly duties.

Wesch’s video also discussed technology and its effects on the classroom. People are glued to their phones and laptops. I do not use my cell phone in class other than to check the time or mark important due dates in my calendar. Some students on the other hand text, play games, and surf the internet on their phones in class. I find that in appropriate, I am paying for this class which is continuously interrupted by the sounds of cell phones. I do not bring my laptop to class but I know a lot of students that do and I believe it adds to the many distractions in the classroom. Students often times bring their laptop to class to surf the net and chat with people rather than to take notes or research the topic being discussed. I think technology can enhance the classroom if used correctly but often times it is not used appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment