Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dr. Christie



Today I explored Dr. Alice Christie's web site in which she lends her forty years of experience to help other teachers. I found several things on her web site that would be useful to me as a teacher. I really enjoyedDr. Christie's Online Researching Resources which contains information about search engines, evaluating web site, resources, webcams, virtual field trips and more. I remember staying up till midnight searching for a source for a paper and constantly questioning if the source was good enough but this web site helps eliminate all that trouble.

Dr. Christie's page about search engines gives you several different search engines and tells you which ones to use when looking for certain information. I can use this information to reduce the headache when looking for educational material for my class. I now know of a search engine called EducationPlanet.com I can use to give me a narrower search results. I can also this page to pull search engines for kids to give my students to help them research their school work.

Another thing I really liked about the online researching resources is that it had a page about evaluating web sites. I know as a student I was always questioning is this web site a legitimate source but Dr. Christie's web site evaluation page will take the guess work out of it for you. She has eight links listed that teach you how to evaluate a site. Several teachers ask their students to do reports using the internet and expect them to find exactly what they want without giving them any guide lines to search by. The World Wide Web is massive source information and often times it is overwhelming for students, I know it was for me. So I would use research Dr. Christie’s information about evaluating web sites and teach my students how to properly assess if a site is a legitimate source.

I feel Dr. Alice Christie's web site has tons of useful information for not only teachers but also for students and their parents. I believe Dr. Christie has lots of initiative ideas to improve the classroom and I most definitely will use them in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment