Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Classroom rules & 7 stupid and brilliant ways to use tech.


Everyone knows there are good teachers and bad teachers in the school system. Mr Doug Johnson discusses seven positive and negative characteristics teachers exhibit with technology. Mr. Johnson's list titled Seven Stupid Mistakes Teachers Make With Technologywas shockingly accurate. I remember several of my teachers and professors exhibiting these characteristics. I believe those teachers made stupid mistakes with technology because they did not know much about technology and they "think technology in schools will go away" so they didn't want to take the time to educate themselves about it. Those teachers were soley focused on themselves and doing the bare minimal to get by. I believe these teachers are to blame ,to a certain extent, for my own personal lack of technology knowledge. As a teacher I will do my best to expose my students to new technology every day in order to not only teach them but to inspire them to learn more.

Mr. Johnson also created a list calledSeven Brilliant Things Teachers Do With Technology that gives examples of how good teachers use technology. This list is basically a complete opposite of the other list. When I first viewed this list it hit me that I do not remember any of my teachers using technology in these ways. 80% of teachers use technology like the first list stated and only 20% of teachers use technology to its fullest extent, the way it was meant to be used. More teachers and principals need to read this list and incorporate it into their schools. Technology is not leaving the classroom it is taking over the classroom, so as teachers we need to embrace it.

Technology is taking over the classroom, so we should change our rules to better suit the environment. I enjoy reading the new classroom rules the most because it was so innovative yet applicable. The new rules simply made minor changes to age old rules in order to give the students the best learning environment. Classes no longer have to take place in a classroom. Students can take online classes anywhere they can get an Internet connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment